December 8, 2009

{ While Hubby's Away.... }

...I'll work my tail off!

This last weekend, my sweetie went away on a business trip for 3 days. As a little background, we own a business, and our office is in our house, so he is home a LOT. This really makes it difficult for me to get stuff done around the house because it seems like I'm always working with him in the office. So when he went away on a trip did I sit around taking hot baths, reading books and eating ice cream? NO! I stayed up until 3am every morning working on as many projects as I possibly could. It was such a high because I got so much accomplished.

This post is Part One better known as... "Its nothing that a coat of white paint can't fix".

I got this hutch from Laurel a long time ago (most of the great stuff in my house came from Laurel!), and it's been sitting in my garage ever since because I just couldn't find a home for it in my house. I also got a great sofa table from her as well, can you see it hiding behind the hutch, but it was black and didn't quite work in my room. So what is my solution? A coat of white paint of course! (and yes, I do most of my projects in my family room)

Here's the after. I decided to seperate the hutch into two individual pieces.
This was the top half of the hutch. You might recognize the bun feet from Jamie's nightstand makeover. If I ever want to turn it back into a hutch, I can simply remove the feet and place it on top of the base. I painted the inside of the cabinet red, then I then antiqued the red interior and the top of the piece with a dark stain.
The other half of the hutch went into my bedroom as a nightstand. I really needed something that had lot of storage, and this piece fit the bill.
I LOVE IT! I added glass knobs that I had sitting in my garage left over from another project. As a side project, I also redid the frame above the table. I darkened the stain on the frame, took out the generic pictures and added some black and white photos of my kids.


Here's the black sofa table...
Same process, staining the top and adding glass knobs, but what a difference!

Sorry some of the pictures are a bit dark, but I think you get the idea. The best part of these projects? They were FREE! I used stuff I already had around the house! This is the end of part one, I'll post more in a couple of days.

3 comments:

~ Stacey ~ said...

I want to know how the Teel family got all the creative genes??????? You can all come to my house and give it a face lift :)

Jamie said...

Whoaza! This is only part one?!! Can't wait to see what's next!

Traci said...

You got a lot done in Phase 1... I'm with Jamie. I can't wait to see what you did next. Everything looks great as usual!